Canada

Alerts, help needed, and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: AntonLargiader

Cliff

Canada

Post by Cliff » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:16 pm

Looking for some tips. I'm headed out to the Stanley Stomp in Idaho and now thinking about a route via Canada. Plan to camp and also motel.

Idea would be from here up through Ohio and Michigan to Canada then west. Drop down from somewhere in Canada to Montana where I will be staying in Livingston for a few days before the Stomp and doing some riding in that area. After the Stomp up into Canadian Rockies area for a few days, then back east across Canada again.

Any tips and pointers much appreciated.

Thanks,

Cliff
Cliff R1100RT, Ducati 900SS

Duner Tor

Re: Canada

Post by Duner Tor » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:27 am

[quote="Cliff"]Looking for some tips. I'm headed out to the Stanley Stomp in Idaho and now thinking about a route via Canada. Plan to camp and also motel.

Idea would be from here up through Ohio and Michigan to Canada then west. Drop down from somewhere in Canada to Montana where I will be staying in Livingston for a few days before the Stomp and doing some riding in that area. After the Stomp up into Canadian Rockies area for a few days, then back east across Canada again.

Any tips and pointers much appreciated.
==========
I lived in Bozeman, just over the hill from Livingston for 12 years, and got pretty familiar with the Northern Rockies and southern BC and Alberta. I've made the MT to VA round trip a number of times and tried to make it interesting, but, for me, it was mostly a 4 day blast.Your trip looks good, and Canada is a good idea, although I am one of few people who actually likes North Dakota, so I would stay in the US going or coming. It appears that you have friends in Livingston, so I'll let them guide you around SW MT. In no particular order, here are some thoughts:

The grasslands in southern Saskatchewan are beautiful.

The UP of Michigan was a nice surprise. Recommended.

Duluth and Aerostich. I am also one of the few who likes that national punchline, Duluth.

The ride from SW MT to Stanley is fabulous. I went to the Stomp for years until it got discovered.Go through Wisdom MT in the Big Hole Valley.From Salmon ID to Stanley let it rip. It's so good that you'll start off law abiding, but soon you'll stop profiling oncoming cars, not caring if you get a ticket .

The Icefields Parkway in Alberta.

The weekend after the 2012 Stomp, the Bee Cee Beemers have their annual rally in Nakusp BC. Nice ride to it, and nice riding around it. BC is wonderful. That same weekend (Aug. 16-19) my old club, The Beartooth Beemers, have their rally just south of Red Lodge MT at the foot of the Beartooth Pass. Needless to say, the riding around there is good.

Have a good trip, and let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Duner Tor
Afton VA
'96 R1100RSL (Europe bike), '76 R90S, '01 Monster S4, '04 FXDX

Cliff

Re: Canada

Post by Cliff » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:10 pm

DT, many thanks for all the info. Studying maps now and look forward to the trip.

cliff
Cliff R1100RT, Ducati 900SS